The first step in the reliability engineering process is to specify the required reliability that the system must be designed to achieve.
To be meaningful, a reliability requirement must be specified quantitatively. It may be specified in either of two ways; as a nominal value or a minimum acceptable value.
RAM Requirement Features
- A quantitative statement of the reliability specification.
- A full description of the environment in which the system will be stored, transported, operated, and maintained.
- Clear identification of the time measure and mission profile.
- A clear definition of what constitutes a failure.
- A description of the test procedure with accept/reject criteria that will be used to demonstrate the required reliability.
RAM Requirement Uses
- Establish goals for developmental reliability testing.
- Establish criteria to validate and verify the design.